Hi, My name is Ewan McAndrew and I work as the Wikimedian in Residence at the University of Edinburgh. Melissa Highton (Edinburgh University's Assistant Vice Principal for Online Learning), Lorna Campbell (OER Liaison at the University of Edinburgh) and I have been discussing holding a smallish Wikipedia Conference at the university next year, potentially in June 2017.
We are keen to support projects & initiatives connected to Wikipedia that may benefit with the additional focus so we have provisionally titled the conference as ‘Our Language’ but it could also be entitled ‘the Geography of Wikipedia’.
As there will be a new Gaelic Wikimedian in Residence beginning at the National Library of Scotland while the work of the National Library of Wales Wikimedian is coming to an end & the Wikimedian at UNESCO is also doing work to support endangered languages, we felt the conference could focus on diversity; particularly in terms of linguistic, cultural & gender diversity.
The below represents our current thinking of aspects we’d like to include but is very open to further discussion & ideas. I believe we will want a mix of keynotes, smaller presentations/lightning talks, practical workshops and discussion spaces. Liam Wyatt (wittylama) suggested I should get in contact with yourself.
Aspects to be covered/included:
- Languages of Britain/Endangered Languages aspect – focus on indigenous languages (Irish, Gaelic, Scots, Cornish? Welsh (Basque? Breton?) - Find out who’s active and see if they could feasibly present.
- Wikisource could be brought in (in different languages) as we’re keen to support projects that could do with greater exposure.
- John Cummings (UNESCO – endangered languages)
- Gill Hamilton at National Library of Scotland - speak to her about Europeana (Liam Wyatt) and other cultural heritage angles.
- Cultural heritage – Wikicommons (Jason & Robin in Wales, Sara at Museum & Galleries Scotland)
- Content Translation workshop
- Tagging Welsh/Gaelic place names workshop.
- Wiki Loves Monuments
- Wiki Commons workshop – how to upload and tag with Wikidata.
- Navino Evans and Histropedia – talk & workshop.
- BBC Alba, BBC Cymru and Moving Image Archive – see if presentation and material can be released.
- Title & hashtag to be worked out. (available in all the languages being discussed)
- Alex Hinojo – Amical Wikipedia and Wikidata.
- Scottish Poetry Library.
- Scottish Studies faculty showcasing Scottish studies archive.
- Pictish translator?
- Cecil Sharp House.
- Gender within language.